Starting a website can really be easy. You can start a blog site and start talking about anything and everything under the sun. But if you want to have a successful blog site, choosing the right niche should be the first thing you need to do.
The niche will somehow serve as the starting point of your journey towards online success and you have to start on the right foot.
A niche site narrows down your targeted audience but at the same time, it also makes them keep coming back.
Though figuring out what the people usually read or look for is hard, it should be analyzed well.
Check out the following tips (based on experienced blogger Chris Punke’s formula, I just added some other essential insights) to help you find your niche.
Choose Something You Have a PASSION For
As what experts would usually say, you should talk about things you have extreme passion for, things you are most in interested in and knowledgeable about.
When you write about something you can relate to, scenarios like the ones listed below can happen:
- A lengthy and quality content would just be an easy target to accomplish for you.
- A comfortable subject to write about leads to overflowing better sets of ideas. This will help your site rank more as studies revealed that a higher ranking awaits longer contents.
- There will be a more sticky engagement between you and your subject.
- A lot more time for checking about how it will look like, the choice of words, and many more will be allotted by you.
- Boredom is out of the picture.
- Having a subject in which you can relate to and can tell many things about can get rid of boredom which often times leads to quitting.
- Presenting a subject you love to talk about is really different as compared to the ones you don’t.
- You can communicate to your readers easily due to the comfort of the topic.
- Your passion will keep the fire of perseverance burning.
- It will push you to dig deeper and learn more about the topic so you can talk more about it.
The very first person who should fully understand and have a deep engagement with the subject must be you – the blogger.
When you know your subject very well, it would be easier to construct and come up with what you want your readers to know. You can cover all the aspects related to it and present them in a comprehensive way.
Otherwise, if you yourself carry a big question mark about the subject, how will you talk about it? People won’t love to read a blog post that comes with uncertainties.
How do you find your passion?
Finding for your passion is never a hard thing to look for. What are the things that you love to do or the things you love to talk about? That is your passion.
You’ll know that it is your passion if you find excitement and joy in doing or talking about it. Dealing with it is effortless.
But if you’re still confused or lost when it comes to what you really love, here are some questions you may want to ask yourself.
- What are your hobbies? Think about the things you do regularly mainly for enjoyment.
- In what area do you excel best? In the field of performing arts? Sports? Think about your forte.
- What do you do on your free time? Think of the things that you usually do during your vacant time and those that really spark the excitement in you.
- What are the usual topics in the long conversations that you have engaged with? Think of those topics that make an hour feel like a minute when you speak about it.
- Personally, what are the things that you really love to do and you will never get tired of doing? Think of those things you still want to do even after you’ve done all your work for the day.
- In which topics do most of your friends and loved ones treat you as a resource person? Think about the areas to which people consider you as a “fountain of knowledge”.
PRUNE Down the List of Topics You’re Interested in
Instances wherein your mind and your heart won’t agree with each other might happen – that is imbalance.
You might be thinking of a certain topic while your heart shouts ‘no, not that – choose this one instead!’
To come up with a choice that is fair to both of them, narrow down the list.
Here’s how you can narrow down your list:
- Go through the answers you have provided to the questions above.
- Rank order them from the thing you enjoy doing most to the thing you like the least.
- Choose the top 3 on your list and eliminate the rest.
- Create a more focused and specific topic under those lists.
Note: You can’t always do everything to every people and in online business, “smaller is bigger”.
Identify the PEOPLE You Want to Target
Starting a business without setting its target people could prevent it from being progressive. It is important that you really know the people on the end part.
Of course, most who start a business want their products to reach a wide range of customers as much as possible. However, it also means lots of resources will be needed to achieve that.
To start it right, identify your target. It does not mean that you are entirely specializing your product away from those not covered by your planned target.
You choose in order to focus and be able to deliver the best to your ‘target audience’. By knowing your target audience, you’ll be able to use time and money more practically.
To be able to decide on whom are you going to market your products to, you need to consider analyzing factors related to your business. With this, you can address more specific problems.
So how will you identify your target audience?
Here are the tips to be able to do it without cracking your nut shells much:
1) Think of the benefits that could be brought by your products. Towards what type of people do you think are they most helpful to?
2) What kind of people would you love to work with?
3) What type of people do you think have problems which can be addressed by your product? Consider the ones fastest to reach.
4) Keep in mind that you identify your target audience but do not entirely exclude others that might benefit from what you offer.
5) You don’t have to think to the point that your head aches. Relax. Follow your senses as to whom you believe would be the best target audience for your business.
Know Your Market’s PROBLEM
It is important that you have an idea of the problems faced by your target audience. You can come up with the solution by knowing what needs to be addressed.
There are three easy ways on how to determine the problems of the audience you want to target.
- Facebook Graph Search
- Mining Social Platforms
- Keyword Research
Through the Facebook Graph Search, you will be able to find out the pages liked by people who are interested in something.
- For example, you will search for the pages liked by the people who are sports enthusiasts.
Another means is through mining social platforms. Check out for unanswered questions on the following:
- Reddit’s subreddit’s
- Pinterest boards
- Yahoo! Answers
You can also do keyword research. To know the terms searched by your target audience, you can utilize the following:
- Keyword Planner
- Google Suggest
You will know the problems of your target audience through the data that will be provided.
At the top of this all is the goal to address the needs of your target audience.
What you are up to is providing answers to their questions, may it be that you have chosen audiences inclined in sports, cars, or anything.
Determine if the Niche Can PROFIT You
Undeniably, it would be a whole lot better if the niche that you will be choosing will not only benefit your target audience but as well as you.
Securing that it is PROFITABLE could really be a BIG FACTOR.
To check if you can financially gain from it or not, you can consider the following:
- Check what comes out when you search for your parent topic and your niche in Google.
- How many blogs appear? How do you consider it, few or many?
- Check on the other resources that are shown to you.
- Check what books have been written about it by searching on Amazon.
- Assess the rankings of those books in the store.
- Consider the inclusion in the top 45,000 as the ones bearing a good sign.
- There are also other searches that you can consider to check on your niche’s profitability like these ones:
- YouTube searches
You can also check on Facebook or Twitter hashtag search. Many search results could mean a good sign.
In choosing a niche, you can consider both sides – those of the customers and as well as your side as the provider. Your business is aimed to be beneficial to everyone – and that ‘everyone’ includes you.
If others can make money through it, you too can.
Making money online is as easy as abc. But just like a child trying to memorize the English alphabet, choosing a niche is kind of an exam you need to pass in order to progress.
And so to help you further with your “choosing your niche” challenge, we found these top online courses guaranteed to speed up your online success: